Tuesday, November 23, 2010

$5 Thrift Store Find!


Before we headed north on our big move, I of course tried to make a few quick stops at my favorite stores. Most of you probably know that my favorite store of all time is Hudson's Treasure Hunt, a salvage store in Mississippi and Alabama only (sad!). There I found my beautiful Anthropologie crewel work pillows for a steal, a plethora of Macy's bedding, down pillows, trendy Target items, and a $350 BCBG dress for a mere $35!

I also had some other fav's including Goodwill, Mr. Bill's Antiques and Junk, and Mission of Hope thrift store. All are good for finding fun vintage items, such as the antique pink depression glass tea cups I picked up as a Christmas gift last year. And Mission of Hope in particular has great furniture! I have a friend who got a gorgeous green velvet tufted sofa for $40. Of course, they all need work and you have to check back every week to see what's new. Not only do I love that you can negotiate, but all the proceeds go to Mission of Hope's drug and alcohol recovery program. Last time I was there I got this cradle for $5! It was missing a piece, but my genius dad was able to fix it with a 2x4. I've been painting it this week.

Here's the before:

And the after:

I love the dove gray color! We will use the cradle in our room, but I wanted to show my aqua wall. I love the color! It's a more happy, cheerful color than the photo gives it credit for. The lighting wasn't good and I couldn't get it to adjust just right in photo shop. I ordered this organic cotton bumper and sheet on ebay for the crib (just wanted to show it in the pic), but i'm still not sold on it. Thinking about doing white to brighten things up. Planning on painting a Jenny Lind style crib the burnt orange/rust red color and making a cribskirt as shown here. I ordered samples of 2 different fox prints and plan on making the cribskirt from one of these.

I'm excited to see how it all comes together eventually!

1 comment:

  1. Great find!! I think cradles are a lost art in baby care. What a great price too!

    ReplyDelete